Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Forcing answer on child tax credit form...but NO CHILDREN!

When I do the Federal tax error checking, it keeps coming up with the need to enter data into the child tax credit form.  NO DEPENDENTS have been listed in our taxes.  Nothing I can find indicates we are in any way involved with the child tax credit.  The error checking mode doesn't let me go to the next error without filling in that form.  I do not see it when I list the forms in my return.  Also, I cannot find any reference in my answers to a child or a child tax credit.  This has to be an error of some kind.  The form is "Schedule 8812" and the question they want me to answer asks about form 6419.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RaifH
Expert Alumni

In 2021, everyone is being asked to confirm that they did not receive any Advanced Child Tax Credit payments even if they are not claiming any children on their return. Advanced child tax credit payments would be reported to you on Letter 6419 from the IRS. To confirm you did not receive any advance payments:

1. In the Federal section of your return, go to Deductions & Credits
  2. Scroll down to You and Your Family and click Revisit/Start next to Advance payments, Child and Other Dependent Tax Credits
  3. Click Continue
  4. Answer Let's start with where you spent the most time in 2021.
  5. Answer No to Did you receive any advance Child Tax Credit payments in 2021?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RaifH
Expert Alumni

In 2021, everyone is being asked to confirm that they did not receive any Advanced Child Tax Credit payments even if they are not claiming any children on their return. Advanced child tax credit payments would be reported to you on Letter 6419 from the IRS. To confirm you did not receive any advance payments:

1. In the Federal section of your return, go to Deductions & Credits
  2. Scroll down to You and Your Family and click Revisit/Start next to Advance payments, Child and Other Dependent Tax Credits
  3. Click Continue
  4. Answer Let's start with where you spent the most time in 2021.
  5. Answer No to Did you receive any advance Child Tax Credit payments in 2021?

Thank you!  It seems TurboTax could have told us that.  L

YOU are the BEST!!!! This stupid child care credit has driven me crazy. THANK YOU

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies