Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

udat823

For deductible home mortgage interest, what is meant by "debt on date last secured"?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MichaelMc

For deductible home mortgage interest, what is meant by "debt on date last secured"?

Debt on date last secured refers to the loan amount on the date that you most recently signed the papers for the loan (mortgage or deed of trust, promissory note). This may be the date on which you actually purchased your home, or a later date if you have refinanced your mortgage loan.

djernster
Returning Member

It doesn't take you to a screen to make an update/correction, so I don't know where to find it to fix it.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You can enter this information in the Federal section of the program under "Deductions & Credits."  

You should see a section titled "Mortgage Interest and Refinancing (Form 1098).

Please see the attached help articles to provide additional assistance to you in entering your 1098 Mortgage interest information.

Where do I enter my 1098?

Additional information on deducting your mortgage

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

JotikaT2,

I have used TurboTax for the last 10 years.  For some reason when I enter my mortgage interest information (loan originated before 12/17 and interest was 40k) it keeps defaulting to using the standard deduction.  Is this a software glitch or has something changed from last year for data entry?  Is there someone I can talk to about this?  Very frustrating......

SP1964 

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

First be sure the form 1098 entries are correct.  Specifically, check the loan balance on 1/1/2019 (box 2) and the origination date on the loan (box 3).  Assuming box 3 is before 12/15/2017, the amount in box 2 is probably above $1M, which limits the mortgage interest deduction.

After you enter your forms 1098 you will get to a question "Did any of these situations apply in 2019?" This is the limiting question. If yes, you will need figure your adjusted mortgage interest deduction.    

First, you need to figure out what your average mortgage balance is. To do this:

• Take the balance of your mortgage at the beginning of the year, and add it to the balance of your mortgage at the end of the year.
  • Divide this amount by 2 to get your average mortgage balance for the year.

Next, you need to compare your average mortgage balance with the limits ($1M). If your average mortgage balance is greater than the limit, then do this:

• Divide the limit ($1M) by your average mortgage balance to get a percentage.
  • Multiply the percentage by how much mortgage interest you paid for the year. This will tell you how much total mortgage interest you can deduct.

If your average yearly mortgage balance is less than $1M, then you get the full deduction.  Put the full amount in the adjusted box. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies