Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal Tax extension payment

I made a payment with my Federal extension form but it does not appear to be offsetting my Federal taxes due, now that I have completed my return. Federal taxes paid shows as $0 in the summary.

Please advise.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You wrote:  "I am using TurboTax Premier"

But the important part to know is whether you are using desktop TurboTax (CD/download) or Online Premier.  In desktop TurboTax, you have the benefit of Forms Mode to correct things.    If you are using desktop software, we can suggest something to try.

If you are using Online TurboTax,  you'll need to phone TurboTax Support.   Hours today are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern).   October 15 hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern).

View solution in original post

You only said "the form", so I don't know what specific form you are referring to, where you corrected it.   In the desktop software, you can correct the problem by entering the extension payment directly on Line 9 of the Tax Payments worksheet, which then flows to Schedule 5, and then flows from Sched 5 to the Form 1040.

Or you can bring up the Form 4868 in Forms Mode, and there is a little checkbox near the top.   There needs to be a checkmark in Box A for things to flow from the Form 4868 to the Tax Payments worksheet then to Schedule 5.

We are well aware of the bug and have been discussing it with TurboTax for some time.  It has even happened for some users in previous years.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Did you enter it?  Maybe you entered it on the wrong line like for state.

You can type estimates paid in the search box at the top of your return and click Find and it will give you a link to Jump To the screen where you enter Extension Payments.

To enter the amount you paid with an extension (including state extension)  go to

Federal Taxes (or Personal for desktop H&B version)

Deductions and Credits

Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

Next page second section Payments with Extension

Either Visit All or Click Start or Update by the extension you paid

Thank you for your response. I am using TurboTax Premier and I entered the amounts paid with my federal extension and my state extension in the appropriate boxes, under "Other Income Taxes", but only my state tax due was adjusted appropriately. There was no impact on my federal tax due.

I zeroed out the entry in "Payment with 2018 federal extension" box ……..…. no impact.

I re-entered it and again no impact to the federal tax due amount. 

BTW - I also zeroed out the amount paid with the state extension and got the expected result of the state tax due going back up.

When I re-entered it, the state tax due was appropriately re-adjusted back down, as I would expected it to be.

Just not the same result with the federal input! 

You wrote:  "I am using TurboTax Premier"

But the important part to know is whether you are using desktop TurboTax (CD/download) or Online Premier.  In desktop TurboTax, you have the benefit of Forms Mode to correct things.    If you are using desktop software, we can suggest something to try.

If you are using Online TurboTax,  you'll need to phone TurboTax Support.   Hours today are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern).   October 15 hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern).

Thank you. I am using the downloaded desktop version.

How do I use the Forms Mode to correct this situation?

I was able to go to Forms Mode and clearly identify that the entry for the federal extension payment was not there. When I entered the correct amount in the box on the form, the Federal Tax Due number was then reduced as expected. If this is the correct approach, thank you very much for your assistance. 

If I need to be aware of any other concerns about using this approach, pleas let me know. Otherwise I believe I am good to go, so thanks again.

How do I report this apparent bug to TurboTax?

You only said "the form", so I don't know what specific form you are referring to, where you corrected it.   In the desktop software, you can correct the problem by entering the extension payment directly on Line 9 of the Tax Payments worksheet, which then flows to Schedule 5, and then flows from Sched 5 to the Form 1040.

Or you can bring up the Form 4868 in Forms Mode, and there is a little checkbox near the top.   There needs to be a checkmark in Box A for things to flow from the Form 4868 to the Tax Payments worksheet then to Schedule 5.

We are well aware of the bug and have been discussing it with TurboTax for some time.  It has even happened for some users in previous years.

If you make any overrides on the actual forms you can not efile.  You need to find the underlying source worksheet to make entries.  

Can you post a screen shot of where you entered it using the interview steps that didn't fill the right place?

It will accept a direct entry or edit on Line 9 of the Tax Payments worksheet without an override.  As Volvogirl mentioned, do not use the override feature on anything that is actually filed, such as directly on Schedule 5.  You can correct this without overriding either on the Tax Payments worksheet or by checking the Form 4868 Box A I mentioned..

I entered it directly in line 9 of the Tax Payments form.

I also checked that Box A is not checked on Form 4868.

Do you recommend that I delete my entry from line 9 of the Tax Payments form and check box A on form 4868 instead?

I would like to e-file, so would updating form 4868 instead of the Tax Payments form still allow me to do that?

The most important thing is the Line 9 of the Tax Payments worksheet.   That's what allows it to proceed flowing to Schedule 5 and then the Form 1040.    If that corrected everything, then the Box A on Form 4868 is likely irrelevant, because your figure has gotten around the roadblock.

You should have no problem in efiling with either method.   Entering directly on Line 9 of the Tax Payments worksheet is NOT an override.   A direct entry is accepted where it is allowed, such as Line 9 of the Tax Payments worksheet.    An "override" requires a special maneuver, and is not the same thing, and is used on an uneditable field.   The Line 9 is fully editable and will not prevent you from efiling.

As I said above, the Tax Payments worksheet is the most important step to get it to flow to Schedule 5.   The checkbox I mentioned is to get it to flow from Form 4868 to the Tax Payments worksheet.  Editing the Tax Payments worksheet directly got around that roadblock.  So the important thing is that the figure is now on the Tax Payments worksheet and thus flows to Schedule 5.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies