turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Humpjs

Entering K1 Loss

I can only write off some of the loss on my K1 because the entire amount will take my outside basis negative.    Where on Turbo Tax can I put this in?   It only asks me to enter what is in Box 1 of my K1, which is the entire amount and it writes off the whole loss.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Entering K1 Loss

@Humpjs wrote:

Where on Turbo Tax can I put this in?  

The excess loss (the loss that exceeds your basis) is suspended and carried over.

However, TurboTax does not keep track of your outside basis and does not support any calculation related to your adjusted basis. You have to keep track of that via another method.

Regardless, from the K-1, you should only enter the amount of the stated loss that does not exceed your basis into the program.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Entering K1 Loss

@Humpjs wrote:

Where on Turbo Tax can I put this in?  

The excess loss (the loss that exceeds your basis) is suspended and carried over.

However, TurboTax does not keep track of your outside basis and does not support any calculation related to your adjusted basis. You have to keep track of that via another method.

Regardless, from the K-1, you should only enter the amount of the stated loss that does not exceed your basis into the program.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies