Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Energy Efficient Windows Deduction

Lived in another home in 2012 and replaced my windows with energy efficient windows in which i was able to get a tax deduction from in 2012. Last year, I bought energy efficient windows again- but now for a different home in which i now live. I no longer live in the home from 2012. Can i still get a deduction credit for these 2nd set of windows?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

There is a lifetime limitation on your window expenses. The amount you may be able to deduct is determined by entering the credit entered in the prior year against the amount you are currently claiming.  It is not an improvement per house credit, but a taxpayer credit.

Window limitation

Form calculation section

I recommend you go ahead input your information as directed below.  TurboTax will do the calculation based upon the amount of the credit from the prior years against the amount spent this year. 

1. Go to the Federal section
  2. Select "Deductions & Credits"
  3. Scroll through all tax breaks until you see the section titled "Your Home."
  4. To the right of "Home Energy Credits", select revisit/start

Answer the questions as prompted.  You will get to a screen which starts asking for information regarding carryforwards from prior years.  Enter the information as it applies to your situation.

Pay attention to the questions as they start with 2019 information and then go into improvements from prior years.  The information requested for the prior years will show you the year, Form 5695, and the applicable line number.

Prior year windows improvements

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

There is a lifetime limitation on your window expenses. The amount you may be able to deduct is determined by entering the credit entered in the prior year against the amount you are currently claiming.  It is not an improvement per house credit, but a taxpayer credit.

Window limitation

Form calculation section

I recommend you go ahead input your information as directed below.  TurboTax will do the calculation based upon the amount of the credit from the prior years against the amount spent this year. 

1. Go to the Federal section
  2. Select "Deductions & Credits"
  3. Scroll through all tax breaks until you see the section titled "Your Home."
  4. To the right of "Home Energy Credits", select revisit/start

Answer the questions as prompted.  You will get to a screen which starts asking for information regarding carryforwards from prior years.  Enter the information as it applies to your situation.

Pay attention to the questions as they start with 2019 information and then go into improvements from prior years.  The information requested for the prior years will show you the year, Form 5695, and the applicable line number.

Prior year windows improvements

Thank you! That helps me a lot. I'm glad I asked!

Thank you for your answer.  Do I understand this correctly:  our windows replacement was over $22,000 but we would only get a $200 credit. This is a lifetime max.  However, there is a $500 maximum lifetime credit, so we could upgrade another feature (perhaps doors) to use up some of the remaining $500 maximum.

Correct?

Thank you!

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Correct. This credit is worth a maximum of $500 for all years combined, from 2006 to its expiration.  Of that combined $500 limit,

• A maximum of $200 can be for windows.
  • The maximum tax credit for a furnace circulating fan is $50.
  • The maximum credit for a furnace or boiler is $150.
  • The maximum credit for any other single residential energy property cost is $300.

Very helpful!  Thanks so much.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies