Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Electric vehicle credit

Hello - I purchased a electric vehicle in 2017 and got the credit back as part of my taxes.  I purchased another electric vehicle in 2019, am I able to claim the credit again for the new electric vehicle or is it just a one life time credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Electric vehicle credit

You can claim the credit each time you purchase a new electric vehicle and place it in service.  There is not a lifetime limit for claiming the electric vehicle credit.  

@hashu1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Electric vehicle credit

Thank you so much.

Since I am leasing the vehicle, my understanding is I cannot claim that credit then, correct?

TerryA
Intuit Alumni

Electric vehicle credit

That's correct. Only the "owner" (the lessor in your case) can take the credit.

Electric vehicle credit

Thanks for the response.

So for my situation, my wife filed out taxes claiming the credit without knowing the lease rules.  What would be the best course of action at this point? Should we wait to see what the outcome of our return is and then file an amendment to remove that credit? Or will the IRS be able to know that we leased the vehicle and then remove the credit from our return and send us a letter in the mail on the amendment?

Electric vehicle credit

@hashu1 wrote:

Thanks for the response.

So for my situation, my wife filed out taxes claiming the credit without knowing the lease rules.  What would be the best course of action at this point? Should we wait to see what the outcome of our return is and then file an amendment to remove that credit? Or will the IRS be able to know that we leased the vehicle and then remove the credit from our return and send us a letter in the mail on the amendment?

Your best course of action is wait for the IRS to process and issue your federal tax refund and then you can amend the 2019 tax return that was filed.

An amended tax return, Form 1040X, can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed by you to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. The IRS will take up to 4 months to process the amended tax return. 

To access your online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show. Click on the Year and Click on Amend (change) return

See this TurvrboTax support FAQ for amending a 2019 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-amend-a-2019-return-in-turbotax/01/123845...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies