turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

af9000

Do i have to claim my house on my taxes if I co purchased our house. I want her to receive any tax credit for the house.

we're not married. we live together.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Do i have to claim my house on my taxes if I co purchased our house. I want her to receive any tax credit for the house.

There is no tax credit for buying a house. You can, however, deduct mortgage interest, property taxes and PMI. You must itemize to take these deductions and if these deductions are not higher than your standard deduction, they won't benefit you.

Here's how to enter your mortgage interest statement in TurboTax:

1. With your return open, search for 1098 and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  2. Follow the instructions to enter your 1098 info

See this LINK for more information.

Generally, unmarried co-owners of a house can only deduct the part of the mortgage interest and taxes that they themselves actually paid.  If you each paid half, or if you funded a joint checking account to pay the expenses based on how much each person earned, then you will have to figure out how much each of you paid. You do not have to claim expenses you paid, but the other co-owner cannot claim the entire expense unless the other co-owner actually paid all of the expense.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies