turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rndowning

dental work

I had major dental work .  I Paid the company $3500. and refinanced the remainder.  Is the amount paid to a finance company entered under the finance company or do I enter it under the dental company

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

dental work

When you enter medical expenses in TurboTax, including dental expenses, you do not have to specify who you paid them to. You just enter the amount that you paid.

In your medical expenses you enter the total amount that was paid to the dental company. Include both the amount that you paid yourself and the amount that the finance company paid to the dental company. That is your total medical expense. The amount that the finance company paid is a loan to you. For your medical expense deduction it doesn't matter that some of what you paid was your own money and some was from a loan. It's the same as if you went to a bank and took out a loan to pay for the dental work. You deduct the full amount in the year that it was paid to the dental company.

You cannot deduct your payments to the finance company, this year or in future years. They are not medical expenses. You are just repaying the loan that you used to pay the medical expenses.

rndowning

dental work

thank you for your response.  I would never have know any of this

dental work

and when you put the dental expenses on schedule A, only medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your AGI are tax deductible, so do not be surprised if the dental expense deduction isn't the whole thing, 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies