Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deductions

The first 2 months of 2019 I had medical expenses of $4K, and I was reimbursed through my HSA. I had an additional $8K of medical expenses the remaining 10 months of 2019, that I paid out of pocket and did not claim any funds from my HSA. I did not include the reimbursed medical expenses in Turbo Tax for the first 2 months of 2019, since I received payment for those expenses, is that a mistake? Because once I have all the medical expenses entered Turbo Tax only shows a total deduction of $4K.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Deductions

I have not reviewed the medical expense interview for this season, but in the past, the program asked you for all your total expenses, then separately asked for any non-taxable payments or reimbursement (such as HSA, medical insurance, HRA, or other type of non-taxed reimbursement).  Turbotax does the subtraction and reposts the rest as the deductible amount.  In other words, it wants you to tell it everything and let it do the work.

That being the case, if you don't tell Turbotax about the expenses that were covered by the HSA, you should also not report the HSA.  But since you have to report the HSA from form 1099-SA, the program cross-references that to the medical deductions.  So you need to enter your total expenses, to be counted against your non-taxed reimbursements.

Deductions

Thank you. That makes sense.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies