turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JDGotwald

Deduction for Health Insurance Premiums

I am retired and on Medicare.  My wife is not yet eligible for Medicare and her job doesn't provide health insurance so she pays a substantial premium for her health insurance.  Are her health insurance premiums deductible either on federal or state (Ohio) income tax? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Yes, your wife's  health insurance premiums are deductible on your federal and state (Ohio) income taxes, but that deduction is subject to limitations.

To deduct unreimbursed, out-of-pocket medical, dental, and vision costs on your federal return:

• You must take the itemized deduction;
  • The expenses for you, your jointly-filing spouse, and your dependent(s) must exceed 7.5% of your AGI (adjusted gross income); and
  • Only the portion above and beyond 7.5% of your AGI is deductible.

For additional information, see: Can I deduct medical, dental, and vision expenses?

JDGotwald

A follow-up question...

Can I deduct the premiums I paid for supplemental insurance and prescription drug coverage?

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

It depends, The premiums purchased  through the Health Insurance Marketplace are deductible on federal return, and may be on state return. In 2021, taxpayers can deduct qualified unreimbursed medical expenses over 7 1/2% of the adjusted gross income.  If you received form 1095-A  enter the information on the tax return.  The amount of premiums paid will be transferred over to Schedule A (Itemized Deduction), if you're qualified to claim itemized deductions. If you're self-employed, you can claim the premiums as adjustment to your income or a business expense on Schedule C.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies