turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Compensation for medical research

I participated in a research study for a new medication. I was paid for my participation, and received a 1099-NEC. Turbotax asks if any uncommon situations apply.  One possible answer is This money is not earned as an employee or self employed individual, it is from a sporadic activity or hobby (this is not common.)  Does that apply here or am I better off with None of the above? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Form 1099-NEC is meant to report Self-Employment income. 

Since this was not earned as an employee, you would want to answer "Yes" to that question and have it reported as Other Income rather than Self-Employment income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Form 1099-NEC is meant to report Self-Employment income. 

Since this was not earned as an employee, you would want to answer "Yes" to that question and have it reported as Other Income rather than Self-Employment income. 

Richard121
Returning Member

I made incorrect entries and TurboTax shows I have a business (I don't have a business) cannot seem to get this changed within TurboTax

PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Assuming you received and entered Form 1099-NEC:

To enter a Form 1099-NEC that is not for self-employment:

Open your return and go to Federal >> Wages & Income >> Other Common Income >> Income from Form 1099-NEC. Click Start/Update.

Or enter 1099-nec in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to 1099-nec.

You may wish to delete (trashcan icon) the entry you already made, or edit as follows:

1. On the screen Did you get a 1099-NEC?, click on Yes
  2. On the screen Do You Want to Enter Your 1099-NECs Now?, click on Add a 1099-NEC
  3. On the screen Let's get the info from your 1099-NECenter your information and click Continue
  4. On the screen Describe the reason for this 1099-NECenter a reason and click Continue
  5. On the screen Does one of these uncommon situations apply? Select This is not money earned as an employee or self-employed individual, it is from a sporadic activity or hobby and click Continue.

These entries will report the income on Schedule 1 Line 8z Other Income. The total from Schedule 1 Line 10 flows to Form 1040 Line 8 as ordinary income. No self-employed/business income will be reported.

@Richard121 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies