turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I withhold $5,000 of pre-tax dependent daycare and have my wife do the same to withold a total of $10,000?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

Can I withhold $5,000 of pre-tax dependent daycare and have my wife do the same to withold a total of $10,000?

If you are referring to a Dependent Care FSA, the contribution limit is $5,000 for a married couple fling jointly, or $2,500 per parent if filing separately.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

You can but there is no benefit for doing so ... the excess will simply be added back into your income  on the tax return so you will gain nothing.  

What if I spend over $10,000 a year in childcare? I don't plan to have any excess. 

TomD8
Level 15

If you are referring to a Dependent Care FSA, the contribution limit is $5,000 for a married couple fling jointly, or $2,500 per parent if filing separately.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

You can spend a million dollars on child care ... but the limit on the day care credit  form 2441 is $5K per the IRS regs ... so although the employers may allow you both to put $5K in the FSA it will do you no good.  

Thank you, I think this is the answer I needed. But now I have another. If we file jointly does it matter which withholds the money since we don't make the same amount?

Thank you, I think this is the answer I needed. But now I have another. If we file jointly does it matter which withholds the money since we don't make the same amount?

TomD8
Level 15

<<If we file jointly does it matter which withholds the money since we don't make the same amount?>>

No, not as long as you file jointly and the total combined contribution does not exceed $5,000.

Thank you so much I appreciate your help so we can make educated decisions. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies