Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ramkuc1b

Can I use TurboTax filing with an expert, to file my returns and include foreign mutual fund reporting with 8621?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I use TurboTax filing with an expert, to file my returns and include foreign mutual fund reporting with 8621?

I have same question and have india mutual funds , form 8621 not there in listed forms. I need expert to check if  life insurance pension funds that I surrendered are exempt from form 8621. I also have two more small value mutual funds of $3000.

what’s the fees?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

TurboTax doesn't support form 8621 or its calculations, though it can be manually completed and attached to our returns for paper filing.  Any tax due from the form would need to be manually added to the return as well.  

Since the form isn't supported in our program,  TurboTax Full Service experts cannot assist with this form.

In some cases, foreign life insurance policies can require reporting on Form 8621.  Whether or not they will require this form depends on whether or not they have an investment component.  For example, Prudential and ICICI in India, for example, each have some policies to which this applies and some that do not.  While not always true, the policies with taxable components often have the title "Expat Life Insurance." 

Foreign life insurance policies can also trigger requirements to file Forms 8938, FinCen 114 ("FBAR"), Form 720 (excise tax), and Form 3520-A.  Of these, only form 8398 is supported directly in the TurboTax program.  Please note that this is just a list of potential forms that could be required, and they may not all apply in your case.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies