Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Bug with refinance on a large mortgage

That is odd. Its working on my end. Maybe they are working on different areas at a time? I did start over from the beginning for safe measure. 

I didn't see the fix until I deleted all the 1098s, saved and exited, and then started over.  

I also attempted to delete my old forms 1098 and re-enter. The error is still there and I don't see a link for multiple 1098s due to refinance.

Assuming you're using the desktop version,  at the top of the program, there's an online tab.  Check for updates.  

@Meeeeechele 

Sorry, please clarify - which version are you using?

I am using the online version.

Turbo Tax Deluxe for Windows

Definitely not fixed on Turbo Tax Premier on a Windows PC. Downloaded update, deleted previous 1098's, saved and exited program, relaunched and reentered the 1098's. Exact same calculation error, still just adding the two mortgages together. There was zero change to any of the screens where I entered the data either.

I don't believe there was an update to the calculations. There's just a link added to instruct you how to input your info from 1098s. The guidance is essentially to add all the 1098s together and input only once.

Can you either post the link or a screenshot? I'd like to see what they say.

@Meeeeechele in other words for the second year in a row they are refusing to fix their coding problem and telling users to enter their information incorrectly to get around their screw up. This is not a fix.

Also I did not get a link or pop-up or notification that said anything like that when I entered my 1098's so I'm not sure what the trigger even is to tell users what they "should" do.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The issue has been submitted and is currently under investigation.  Please click on the following link and sign up for an email notification when it's fixed.  

Limited interest and points must be entered

Thank You for your patience. 

Note that your mortgage interest might not change your total tax refund.  It will only change if your total itemized deductions exceeds your standard deduction.  In the TurboTax program, when you enter itemized deductions such as mortgage interest, property taxes, medical expenses, charitable contributions, all of these items are added together. Unless the total of itemized deductions exceeds the standard deduction for your filing status, you would not see any change in tax due or refund.  You should receive a Form 1098 which reflects the mortgage interest, points or property taxes you actually paid. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@LinaJ2020 

I mistakenly typed $0 when prompted to “fix” my return....and since I fixed the return after I paid for the Online software, I cannot start over....so I sure hope your developers consider customers who may have typed something random when prompted with the error.

As of now, you will need to override the calculation for that too. Windows (download) version: CTRL D on the 540/540NR Deductible Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet. 

JZ F
Level 1

This is ridiculous with Turbotax. I spent hours figuring out why my deduction was so low and finally reached this page using google after trying both the desktop version and the online version. Truly many hours wasted. And this is I am being careful, and I am usually not this meticulous and patient and I absolutely hate problem solving like in an area I am not good at (math, tax, computer, etc). Wondering if there may be other errors somewhere else in the program that I don't know or I am too lazy to find out. That's easily thousands of dollars of hard-earn money thrown to IRS for free if I did not look at it carefully. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies