Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

401(K) deductions clarification

Can someone please clarify some typically recondite IRS language?

I am trying to determine my 2021 401(K) contribution limit. I am filing Married, Filing Jointly.

My wife, who is over 50, has the 401(K) with her employer and I am a retired spouse.

TT, and the following IRS Guide, say the max contribution is $7000 but the IRS 401(k) Resource Guide > Retirement Topics - 401(k) and Profit-Sharing Plan Contribution Limits > Deferral Limits for 401(K) Plans say

$19,500 for 2021.

Can someone untangle this for me?

Thank for your help.

S Resource Guide > Retirement Topics - 401(k) and Profit-Sharing Plan Contribution Limits>

Deferral Limits for 401(K) Plans

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

401(k)s and IRAs are two different types of retirement plans and have different limits. You can contribution to both,

A 401(k) plan is sponsored through your employer (or yourself if self-employed). You can contribute up to $19,500 plus another $6,500 catch-up contribution for participants s age 50 or older.

An individual retirement account is a plan outside work. You can contribute $6,000 plus another $1,000 for participants s age 50 or older.

You can no longer make 2021 401(k) contributions. You can still make IRA contributions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

ErnieS0,

Thank you for your quick reply.

But a problem now emerges.

My TT Premier 2021 Windows desktop version does not appear to have the ability to input traditional 401(K) contributions, only IRA.

When I input our $9170 contribution for the 401(K) into the IRA contribution area, i.e. "Retirement and Investments", TT automatically reduces it to the maximum IRA limit of $7000. But we should be able to take the full $9170 contribution since it is a 401(K) - not an IRA. And as your answer above correctly points out, the maximum 401(K) contribution is $19500 - not $7000, as in an IRA. 

Is not providing a separate input area for a 401(K) entry an omission on the part of TT, or did I overlook another area where the 401(K) contribution can be entered properly? And if not, is there a work-around?

Again - thank you for your help.

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Your 401(k) contributions should be listed on the W-2 box 12. You do not enter contributions to a work retirement plan under IRA contribution.

1. Click on "Search" on the top right and type “W-2” 
  2. Click on “Jump to W-2” 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies