Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2021 Form 1116 Schedule B (carryovers) can't efile

@Taxachusetts 

It should not matter which format you use to upload files or data to TT.   A strong IT security setup would require that the files or data be loaded onto a containment server which is isolated and secure from the main system.  Files or data containing any known malware will automatically be quarantined and not be allowed to pass onto and infect the main system.  TT and other tax prep / filing services have been around for years and the likelihood is that they have to ensure that all data transmitted to the IRS is vetted as malware free.

If you meet the limits ($300 single, $600 joint), Form 1116 is not required, thus schedule B is also not required.  If your tax paid is over that limit, reducing the value on your 1099 input(s) so the foreign tax is below that limit should allow you to e-File...  This is only reasonable if you are close to the limit, otherwise you will forego a large amount of potential tax credit.

Relaxed_Duck - Right clicking on the carryover amount does not bring up a pop-up list or an override option.  Are you using the online or download version of TT, and what operating system are you using if it's the download version?  Thanks.

I agree, total BS. TT keeps us waiting until March 3 and then we find out we still can't e-file if there is carryover. I've heard the the H&R Block software supports this OK -- can anyone confirm that?

Relaxed_Duck
Returning Member

Hi TinkerToyRonnie, yes I am using the online version that does not seem to provide me much flexibility. I cannot find any pre-programmed options. Seems like I would have to delete the carryover data and reintroduce it next year which will probably create a review flag with the IRS. Do not have a best path-forward at this time. Do not want to donate the funds to the Federal government.

I downloaded the latest update from TurboTax today, and now it has Form 1116, but not Schedule B for Form 1116.
According to Federal Individual Forms Availability (intuit.com), Schedule B for Form 1116 will be ready will be ready on 3/31/22, but we will NOT be able to e-File with it. Is that correct ?

" Is that correct"

Did you not read the entirety of the thread you're posting in?

JeffLehman
Returning Member

The above answer is not responsive.  The question asked is whether TurboTax expects to support Form 1116, SCHEDULE B for e-filing.  That TurboTax supports for e-filing a Form 1116 that does not require Schedule B is not responsive to the poster's question.

JanoJ22
Returning Member

Hopefully Intuit will find a patch for this 1116 schedule B problem ASAP.   This is a serious defect in their tax prep product and they should refund their customers if they can not fix it.

When you click on the link

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/irs-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-pe... 

It says Form 1116, Schedule B is unsupported for efile that we must paper file.  

This is not at all satisfactory!!! 

Please fix this bug!

It means the 1099 filed by Investment bank and your 1040 won't match which produces auto generated IRS letter questioning this.

I just spoke with an agent about this and she indicated the Schedule B should be available for e-file at a later date (despite the "unsupported" verbiage on the webpage).  I don't have100% faith that is accurate, though as this representative did not have strong language skills and seemed uncertain what I was asking for a long time.

I with the "right click and override" method worked but it does not for me (I am using a download product).

This will likely be my last year with Turbo Tax and I will be raising h@ll if I have to file paper forms.  My kids all use H&R Blocks online process and it seems very solid.

I had tried that (putting all carry overs to 0) but in my situation the amount reported in current year 1099 could not all be used and would be carried over to 2022 which once again stopped efiling. Actually thought about changing input from 1099 but as retired CPA know the IRS kicks out anything that doesn't match a reported 1099

how do you request a refund for this? assume you mean ask for refund of fed e-filing fee? or the entire cost?

You can request a refund by calling Intuit support. They will send you to a webpage with a form to fill out, explaining the amount requested and why. I only requested $30, the difference between the size of my refund with 1116 Sch B and without, and explained that the refund could be cancelled if they add Efile capability in the next week. I figured being reasonable was more likely to get the result I wanted. But don’t expect a fast response; per the rep they are being inundated with refund requests for this right now.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies