Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1098-T - Lifetime credit when tuition fully covered by a government grant?

Entering a 1098-T for one of my kids.  He took a training program at a community college, with tuition covered by government grant.  He's had these before, never gotten a 1098-T, but for 2022 he did.  So box 1 say, $3000, box 5, $3000.  Turbotax did the obvious credits analysis, and determined he was eligible for a Lifetime education credit (20%) of the amount.  Great, except that until we got the form, we had no idea what the class cost, and besides, he had no net expense for the class.  I see on Form 8863 how the calculation was done, but I don't understand how one gets a credit when there was no out of pocket.

So 2 questions;

1. Why would the school create the 1098-T this year when it never has for a grant paid for course before?  He did get them from the school when he earned a degree.  Has tax reporting requirements for this changed?

2. How could he 'earn' a credit when he had no net tuition expense?  Is this a quirk in Fed tax law or is there a problem in TT?

3. If I'm right, what is the best way to eliminate the 'credit' in the 1040 - can I simply delete the 8863, or will TT block filing thinking that I made a mistake?

A major tax firm says;

"Since tax-free scholarships don’t have to be repaid, amounts paid for by scholarships aren’t considered paid by you or the student; therefore tax credit for education cannot be claimed."  

Another site says;

"You can claim this credit for any borrowed funds, but not for costs that were covered by a scholarship or grant."

To me this is clearly a bug, and that TT should be applying net tuition expense to determine if it should even ask you about credits, and if it proceeds, only using the net to calculate any credit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
SantinoD
Expert Alumni

For your first question, as long as Tuition was paid, the school will send a 1098-T even if grants, scholarships or student loans were used to pay.  In the past, it is possible that his tuition was paid with waivers, this type of payment is not reflected on 1098-T since a waiver waives the Fees as if they were never paid.

I would double-check your entries for Form 1098-T to make sure you entered Box 5 amount. If Box 5 amount wasn't entered, TurboTax will enter $3k as qualified school expenses paid, therefore qualifying you for the tax credit.

We didn't pay a penny, we didn't even know what the cost was until the form arrived.  But let's say you're right.  Tax law makes it clear that if you had no out of pocket expenses (here because a grant covered everyone's tuition for this job training program), you are NOT eligible for a credit.  TT should detect this very simple condition and zero out everything for credits and skip the interview and form creations other than the 1098T itself.  So this calculated credit is wrong, and you cannot override it.  To me this is a serious bug in the 1098T processing.

BTW, we've had members of our family go through other grant paid job training classes and never, ever gotten a 1098T for any of them until now.

And yes, box 5 was entered.  Exact same amount as box 1.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

If you did not pay a penny and the tuition was completely covered by grants, then you would not need to enter the 1098-T on your return at all.  

If all tuition was paid by grants, then you would not qualify for an education credit.  Without looking at your return, it is hard to guess why you are seeing a credit.  The best thing to do is to go to Tools>>Tax Tools>>Delete a Form>>click Delete next to the 1098-T.

You can then keep the form for your records, but do not enter it on your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for this response.  I'll do as you said.  But I'd appreciate it if engineering could add a test for this situation, and if it comes up, either tell the user to delete the form, or much better, warn the user that tax law does not support any credits, and bypass that part of the script and related code so that no credit gets calculated.  Oh, and report this to the IRS to make sure they don't go and audit taxpayers for missing a 1098T on their tax filing under these circumstances.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies