Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Process to get modified CA 1095-A form

In 2022 I was enrolled in Covered California for my health insurance for a few months while I was in between jobs.

During this time my only source of income was collecting unemployment through the State of California.

In September of 2022, the Covered California website sent me a message letting me know that they needed to know my current income amount and source of income.

Unfortunately, I never received this message since I didn't log on to the Covered California website again until a few weeks ago and this message was never sent to my registered email address. Or if it was emailed to me I missed it since I receive a lot of spam email that makes it into my Inbox.

I have since uploaded my 1099 form listing my unemployment income from 2022 into the Covered California website.

However, since I missed the deadline to submit this unemployment income form on time last year my 1095-A form reflects that I am responsible for paying $2,200 for my Covered California health insurance from 2022.

What steps can I take to have my 2022 1095-A form from Covered California corrected to reflect the fact that I was only receiving unemployment income during the time I was enrolled in Covered California last year so I can then file an amendment to my 2022 taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Form 1095-A is not affected by your income. It shows the premium for the insurance that you had, and the amount of Advance Premium Tax Credit that you received.

If you had reported your income, Covered California would have adjusted your Advance Premium Tax Credit based on your income. But the 1095-A that you received shows the actual Advance Premium Tax Credit that they paid, whether or not it was adjusted for your income. There is nothing that needs to be corrected on the 1095-A. Any adjustment based on your actual income will be made on Form 8962 in your tax return when you enter your 1095-A.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I'll get a larger deduction or credit towards my 2022 taxes since during the time that I was receiving my health insurance covereage through Covered California I was unemployed and my only source of income was receiving unemployment through the Sate of California.

As I mentioned I didn't see the notificaiton from Covered California that they wanted proof of my income (which they sent out in September of 2022) until I logged onto the Covered California website about a month ago.

The relief you seek is not to be had ...the PTC is based on your annual income no matter where it came from.  Your failure to report the actual income or estimate the annual income you got cannot be fixed after the year has ended. If you got too much of credit in advance then you need to repay it on the tax return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies