Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

john14-1

Prescription drug deduction

Can I deduct the shipping charges from a mail order pharmacy for prescription drugs ?
thanks
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Yes, that would be a deductible medical expense if you itemized your deductions. It is the total cost of the prescription.

Note: If you itemize, only medical expenses that exceed 10% of your Adjusted Gross Income are deductible. 7.5% if you or spouse is age 65 and up.

Enter your medical expenses under the Medical section and TurboTax will let you know if you meet the threshold.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Yes, that would be a deductible medical expense if you itemized your deductions. It is the total cost of the prescription.

Note: If you itemize, only medical expenses that exceed 10% of your Adjusted Gross Income are deductible. 7.5% if you or spouse is age 65 and up.

Enter your medical expenses under the Medical section and TurboTax will let you know if you meet the threshold.

I am itemizing deductions but Turbo Tax is not letting me enter my prescription costs. Why?

Reply to [email address removed]

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

It depends. Although you itemize, you can only deduct unreimbursed medical expenses (such as prescriptions) that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income (AGI), found on line 11 of your 2020 Form 1040.

To enter your prescriptions and other medical expenses, please follow the steps below:

1. Open your return.
  2. Search medical expenses with the magnifying glass tool at the top of the page.
  3. Select the Jump to link.
  4. The first page is titled Tell us about any prescription medication expenses.
  5. Enter your prescriptions in the box and click Continue. I attached a picture below for additional guidance. 
  6. Enter the rest of your medical expenses. 

If you still cannot navigate to the correct page, it is recommended that you first log out of your TurboTax Online and delete your cookies.

On rare occasions, they may make your browser think you already did something that you still need to do. To fix that, you'll need to delete (clear) the cookies from your browser. For more information on how to delete your cookies on the browser you are using, please see How do I delete cookies?. Once complete, you can go log back into your tax return and follow the steps above. 

@sawoodbury

@Fred Calvin Stone   What are you trying to do?  Do you need to amend your 2020 return?  You can just enter the grand total for the year for Medical.  You don't need to list them out.   Why did you post them here in this public user forum?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies