Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Post-Tax Medical Insurance Premium paid for Medical Deductions

Hello, if we take an itemized deduction and if our total medical expenses exceed 7.5% of AGI, could we count the post-tax medical insurance premium paid for medical deductions? 

- My husband employer (small business) pays a portion of the medical insurance premium for us

- We are required to pay $1700/mo to cover the remaining premium which is deducted post tax dollars from his pay check

-  Whatever amount the employer pays or we pay don't show up anywhere on W2

Are we allowed to deduct the portion we pay for the medical insurance premium since it's post-tax dollars? 

Thank you. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Medical insurance premiums that you pay with out of pocket funds and are not reimbursed are a medical expense that can be deducted on Schedule A as an itemized deduction.

Thank you! 

We are planning to file separately due to the high medical insurance premium being charged to my husband paychecks. I'm wondering if you happen to know if the medical insurance premium deduction should be listed under my husband deduction or should that be split as a deduction under both tax filing (we are in CA). 

Just to let you know filing separately when you are married is the worst way to file.  If possible you should file as Married Filing Jointly.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for filing jointly or separately - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/taxation/better-married-couple-file-join...

For your question, when filing separately you can only deduct the medical insurance premiums that you actually paid for from your own funds on each tax return.  You both must either use the Standard Deduction or Itemized Deductions on your separate tax returns.  So, if one of you uses Standard Deductions then the other also must use Standard Deduction.  Likewise, if one of you uses Itemized Deductions then the other must also use Itemized Deduction on their return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies