turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Path ACT

So I’m head of household a single mother of 3 children from 9 and 2 i filed my taxes January 27th and got $1800 per child but then from friends with kids have told me about this path act stating they’ll give out another $1800 per child, Just want to make sure if that’s correct? Do I have to redo my taxes again for the irs to make change, Or will the add and change my tax amount upon approval

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Path ACT

Something was lost in translation.   There is not another $1800 per child coming to anyone.

If you are getting the earned income credit or additional child tax credit, your refund is delayed by the PATH act.

If you are getting earned income credit on line 27 or additional child tax credit on line 28 You are subject to the delay required by the PATH act.  Do not expect your refund earlier than late February.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/internal-revenue-service/federal-refunds...

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-return/what-is-the-path-act-and-how-may-it-impact-your-...

Someone may have told you that there is a bill pending in Congress that may affect the child tax credit.   It has not passed.

As of now, the child tax credit for 2023 is still $2000, with a refundable “additional child tax credit “ amount of up to $1600.

No one here knows if or when the proposed enhanced child tax credit bill will pass.  It has gone through the House  of Representatives and is now in the Senate—where 100 senators will decide whether to pass it.  It has not been passed or signed into law.    IF and when it passes, we do not know when they will make it effective or how it will be implemented.  They are still wrangling with it so we do not know what it will look like when they are done.

It is unlikely to affect your 2023 return; maybe enough members of Congress remember what a mess they created when they changed the tax law for taxing unemployment during the 2020 tax filing season in 2021 and will not want to do that to the U.S. public again in mid tax season.  Or maybe they will go ahead anyhow.  We do not know.   But if it affects you for 2023 they will have to provide a way for you to get the credit. Changing the tax forms and formatting them for tax software is a very complex process, so expect it to take a long time for them to sort it out if they even pass the bill.     

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies