turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

crystal2

Owed back child support

My boyfriend owes $3000 in back child support, he was going to claim our kids this year and we know child support will take the money out of the tax return but will they only take what's owed and he get the difference If there is any left over or will they take whole refund even if his return is more than what he owes.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Owed back child support

They will automatically take what is owed out of his refund, any remaining refund will be sent to him, sometimes there can be a delay receiving the remaining amount by a day or two.

View solution in original post

28 Replies

Owed back child support

They will automatically take what is owed out of his refund, any remaining refund will be sent to him, sometimes there can be a delay receiving the remaining amount by a day or two.

crystal2

Owed back child support

Thank you very much!

Owed back child support

Your very welcome, always glad to help!

Owed back child support

If you ,were married you could file as an injured spouse, so your portion wouldn't be part of back child support.

Owed back child support

I was told that I would have to call someone for them to release the rest of my refund to me. Is this correct?

Owed back child support

Well the state took the amount I owed and the Federal did too.  I owed 1655.00 the state took 600.00 and the 1655.00 from Federal so it's more then I owed.  I wont get credited back until April.  Good Luck!

Owed back child support

If your Husband owes 3000 they will take his entire state refund and take out 3000 from his federal.  His state will get credited back to him but he wont see that check until April.

Owed back child support

so since I got a tax warrant for 300 dollars because of child support,the remainder I willnot receive til april?
crystal2

Owed back child support

Well he got his refund already it only took 10 days and all they took out was the exact amount he owed child support.

Owed back child support

Oh I so hope this is this case with my husband as well!! He owed about the same and I was wondering how long it'd take to get the rest of the money because our refund was much higher than his back pay. ..Good to know!! Thanks! ! 🙂

Owed back child support

My refund is higher then my back pay. School and child support. I was accepted on the 29th and my return has been pending since. My 21 days will be up on the 20th. Also my return went from 3960 to 3958 when I went back and checked after a week. What does that mean? And should I expect my return before my 21 days is up?
crystal2

Owed back child support

Thank you very much!

Owed back child support

Your very welcome, always glad to help!

Owed back child support

That’s good hope it goes the same for me

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies