Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TeeO

Over a grand gone! Child Tax Credit Issues

My taxes were e-filed and according to TurboTax they were "accepted" mid-April. I still have not received my refund and the IRS portal was stuck in "processing" status for over a month. I finally have an update from the IRS portal that says the following:

"We made changes to your tax return that changed the amount of your refund. You will receive a notice that explains the changes we made to our tax return, **** by **** 2023." 

Then it goes on to give me instructions on what to do if I disagree with their decision. The details option stated:

"We change the amount claimed as nonrefundable CTC or credit for other dependents on your tax return because you either didn't enter an amount or enter an incorrect amount based on the number of boxes you checked on page 1 of your tax return."

I went on Turbo Tax to find an amendment, however the amount of refund is zero and Turbo Tax just keeps congratulating me that my children qualified for me to receive a CTC. NEVER HAD THIS ISSUE BEFORE. Cannot find a discrepancy on page 1 of my tax return and I am left to attempt to contact the IRS which seems nearly impossible. Long story short, I cancel my failed attempt to amend my taxes that went through Turbo Tax as correct and flagged yet the IRS as having incorrect CTC info. FYI: All of my children claimed are my biological children, who live with me, and I am solely financially responsible for. No one else has claimed them. Each box by each of my children were electronically checked for the CTC in the dependent section after answering TurboTaxes' dependent questions.

Lesson learned: Unless Turbo Tax can offer me assistance with this, they just lost a loyal client.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TeeO

Typo corrections:

"We change the amount claimed as nonrefundable CTC or credit for other dependents on your tax return because you either didn't enter an amount or entered an incorrect amount based on the number of boxes you checked on page 1 of your tax return."

Long story short, I canceled my failed attempt to amend my taxes that went through Turbo Tax as correct yet flagged with the IRS as having incorrect CTC info. 

Additional info: Oh yeah, and I paid for this service SMH.

When you have the IRS notice in hand then call for assistance :

I GOT A LETTER FROM THE IRS   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3605673-i-got-a-letter-or-notice-from-the-irs

I AM BEING AUDITED

If you purchased Audit Defense:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2924451-i-bought-max-or-audit-defense-and-now-i-m-being-audited

AUDIT SUPPORT

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies