Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

other income taxes

I am experiencing a problem with "Other income taxes".  This has erroneously included state and federal withholding.  It should not include federal and state withholding taxes if they have already been declared on a 1099, W2, ...   This erroneously qualified my return to use itemized deductions and gave me an inflated tax return.  To work around this, I manually selected standard deduction.  This gave the results I expected but left me unsure of the accuracy of my return.  This is a bug and needs to be fixed.  I hopefully worked around this issue but if someone is itemizing their deductions, BEWARE!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

other income taxes

Yeah, that confuses people.

On the menu page, there is a $$ number showing the total of Fed&State withholding (local too if any), even if you didn't enter anything in the "Other" income taxes section. 

It has displayed that way for many-many years....Perhaps TTX Display designers need to rethink whether to display those $$  there.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

11 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

other income taxes

Other income taxes is the total of all of your withholding from all forms, both federal and state.   TurboTax pulls the numbers from the forms you enter.   You do not need to enter the withholdings again.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

other income taxes

Other income taxes should not include federal and state withholding if they already have been identified in a W2 or 1099.  This will inflate the deduction amount and as in my case will falsely reduce my tax liability.  I believe this to be a bug in Turbo Tax.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

other income taxes

You should not be entering anything in Other Income Taxes, as TurboTax is already pulling these numbers from the forms you entered.    That section is for payments you made with an extension, withholding NOT reported on a form, and refunds from a previous year that you are applying to this year's taxes.  

other income taxes

That's the problem, I did not enter those numbers, Turbo Tax mysteriously populated that entry.  Sounds like a bug to me.

other income taxes

Yeah, that confuses people.

On the menu page, there is a $$ number showing the total of Fed&State withholding (local too if any), even if you didn't enter anything in the "Other" income taxes section. 

It has displayed that way for many-many years....Perhaps TTX Display designers need to rethink whether to display those $$  there.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

other income taxes

Thank you.  This clears up what caused my confusion.

other income taxes

Totally agree they should not display there, it is very confusing and makes you think there are extra deductions.   I agree it is a bug not a feature or 'nice' display    It should be removed.

other income taxes

When I click on the $$$ amount listed, TTX provides a breakdown like:

Federal Withholding    $50,000

State Withholding         $10,000

The State amount matches the sum of the 2 W2s I imported.

However, the Federal amount is $1,200 higher than the federal withholding from the 2 W2s.

There is no other Federal withholding that I can find.  Is there a way for me to determine where this extra amount comes from?  I did not enter any extra amounts in "Estimates" or "Other Income Taxes".

Again, this is regarding "FEDERAL TAXES"."Deductions & Credits"."Estimates and Other Taxes Paid"."Other Income Taxes".  Is this just a status amount from TTX and I can ignore it?  Thanks.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

other income taxes

First, are you using the Online product or the desktop product?

Second, is this on an IRS form (and which one?) or on some sort of TurboTax summary page? If the latter, what is the title of the page?

other income taxes

Thanks @BillM223 for replying so quickly.

This is on the desktop version.  It is also in the TTX step-by-step section for:

"FEDERAL TAXES"."Deductions & Credits"."Estimates and Other Taxes Paid"."Other Income Taxes"

The page title is "Your 2023 Deductions & Credits", same $$$ issue as the message that started this thread.

Sorry... I believe I've found it. I went to the "Forms" view and found a "Tax Payments" table in "Form 1040: Individual"."Tax Payments". In there I found the missing amount under "18f Additional Medicare Tax". This is not something I entered, nor is it easily decipherable from the W2s or 1099-Rs (which I don't have any).
It really would have been very helpful if this (/these) extra amounts could be broken out in the breakdown of where the amounts, entered automatically by TTX, into "Other Income Taxes" came from.

Thanks.

other income taxes

@JK777 

Yep, for those who have the desktop software, the Forms Mode view of the Tax Payments Worksheet is a huge help in figuring where all the $$ are coming from. ...for many other reasons too...it will show you all sorts of tax payment things you wouldn't have thought of, coming into that worksheet from a myriad of other forms.

Online users can get that worksheet too...but the procedure is more complicated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies