turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

neilhogg-

One spouse has W-2, other spouse is self employed with home office. Why does Turbotax not allow mortgage interest deduction for the home office?

On the Home Office Expenses summary page, "Mortgage Interest" line shows 0 for both "Entire Home" and "Home Office", and editing is not possible.

I have searched policy, and read that the self-employed spouse is allowed by IRS to claim mortgage interest deduction on the home office that this spouse uses. But how do I enter it in Turbotax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

One spouse has W-2, other spouse is self employed with home office. Why does Turbotax not allow mortgage interest deduction for the home office?

In order to claim a portion of your mortgage interest for your home office, you will need to select actual expenses and NOT the simplified deduction.  The question after Business conducted in home office will ask you which method you would like to use to claim the home office deduction, because screens change based on entries, yours may be a few questions later, but If you select "I'll enter actual expenses spreadsheet style, you will be able to enter your mortgage interest.  This will be prorated based on the percet of the home that is used for the home office.  You cannot claim the entire interest amount, only the amount that is equal to the home office percent. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies