turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cmahoro

How do I figure out what my contributions to my HSA is? It's not on the tax form they sent me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

How do I figure out what my contributions to my HSA is? It's not on the tax form they sent me.

Did you contribute through payroll deductions?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cmahoro

Yes
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

On your W-2, the Box 12 code W amount includes both the employer and employee pre-tax contributions, including incentives.  If you contributed to your HSA only through payroll deductions, do not enter them anywhere else in TurboTax. 

However, if your made after-tax contributions on your own (independent of your employer), then those contributions would be entered. You would have to enter them to calculate a deduction. Enter under the Medical section. 

On your HSA summary page, you will see Tax-free employer contributions, but it means both employer and employee contributions in total. It is just how the IRS codes it (Box 12 W)

Form 1099-SA -  is entered in order to calculate the deduction and complete Form 8889 properly. Form 1099-SA is issued when you have distributions from you HSA account.  If you took distributions from your HSA, you need to wait for the form (must be mailed by 1/31/17). Call you the HSA custodian if you have not received this form in a timely manner.

Form 5498-SA - Just keep for your records. It is not entered in TurboTax.

Also, be certain to indicate that you were enrolled in a HDHP. This is a requirement for the participation in an HSA. If you miss entering this information, the program will calculate a contribution penalty. If you still need to know what your contributions are, look to the Form 5498-SA (may not arrive until 5/31/17) or contact your plan's custodian.

Yes

TomK2023
Expert Alumni

Usually, your HSA contribution is reported in box 12 of your W-2 with the code W (Company Contributions to Health Savings Account). TurboTax automatically records this amount in the 1099-SA, HSA, MSA section.

Code W reports the combined contributions from you and your employer. So if you contributed $1,500 to your HSA and your employer matched it dollar for dollar, box 12 on your W-2 would show $3,000 with a code W.

TurboTax Help FAQ: Where do I enter my HSA contribution?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies