TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

Where do I enter my HSA contribution/Form 1099-SA?

by TurboTax Updated 6 days ago

Usually, your HSA contribution is reported in box 12 of your W-2 with the code W (Company Contributions to Health Savings Account). TurboTax automatically records this amount in the 1099-SA, HSA, MSA section.

Code W reports your combined HSA contributions from you and your employer. So if you contributed $1,500 to your HSA and your employer matched it dollar for dollar, box 12 on your W-2 would show $3,000 with a code W.

To enter Form 1099-SA:

  1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. Select Search and enter 1099-SA.
  3. Select Jump to 1099-sa.
  4. Answer the questions and continue through the screens.

What if I made an HSA contribution that wasn't reported on my W-2?

You can also contribute directly to your HSA and get a tax deduction. This is uncommon for employees who make pre-tax contributions at work, but is more common for self-employed or unemployed taxpayers who have an HSA.

To enter a post-tax HSA contribution:

  1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax. 
  2. Select Search and enter hsa.  
  3. Select Jump to hsa
  4. At Tell us about the health-related accounts you had in 2023, check the box next to Health Savings Account (HSA) and select Continue.
  5. Continue through the questions. If you contributed too much, you'll get to the message You may want to withdraw money from your HSAs. Select the option to either withdraw the excess or pay the penalty.
  6. When you reach Your HSA summary, your employee contributions will be listed as a deduction. Contributions made by your employer and not reported on your W-2 will be reported as tax-free company contributions.

More like this

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads