Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

70sfordman
Returning Member

not getting child tax credit for one of my children

for the 2021 tax year i had a child that i never received any stimulus or payment for during the crisis since she wasn't on my taxs for 2020 ok no worries filed my taxs and still didn't receive any extra like i was supposed to now fast forward to today trying to make a amended as i was stated to do but still no difference and obviously can't get ahold of irs.......... but everything i was reading was stating i was suppose to receive 6k what am i doing wrong? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

It is not quite clear what you are trying to do.   Was your child born in 2020 or in 2021?

If you have a child who was born in 2020, then that child should have been claimed on your 2020 tax return.  The amount of "stimulus" money you could get for claiming a child on a 2020 tax return amounted to $1100 total----the first EIP payment of $500 for a dependent under the age of 17, and the 2nd one of $600 for  dependent under the age of 17.

If your child was not born until 2021, then your child could not be claimed until you prepared a 2021 tax return.

The third EIP (aka "stimulus") amount was on a 2021 tax return and you could get $1400 for claiming a child (or any other dependent).   

The child tax credit for tax year 2020 was a maximum amount of $2000, with a refundable amount of $1400, based on your income earned from working.

The child tax credit for 2021 was a maximum amount of $3600 for a child under the age of 6.  Many people  got the first half of that as advance monthly payments between July to December 2021, and the other "half" as  refundable amount on their 2021 tax returns.   You did not have to work to get the child tax credit for 2021.

The rules are different now for a 2022 tax return.  Now you have to have income from working or you are not eligible for the refundable "additional child tax credit" which is a maximum amount of $1500-----based on your income from working.    The total amount of child tax credit per child is $2000 for 2022; it is used first to reduce your tax owed, then you may get the rest--up to that $1500-- per child IF you worked in 2022.

If you WORKED in 2020 or 2021 you might also have qualified to receive earned income credit.  But that credit is based on working and on how much you earned from working.

So.....if you are preparing or amending your returns for 2020 or 2021:

Make sure you have entered your child as a dependent in My Info, and that you have entered the child's Social Security number.    Careful— do not say that your child’s SSN is not valid for employment.  If your child was born in 2020 make sure you said he lived with you the whole year.  There is an oddly worded question that asks if the child paid over half their own support.  Say NO to that question.

In order to get the child-related credits you have to file returns for 2020 and for 2021.  They are separate returns that must be mailed separately.  They cannot be e-filed.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
70sfordman
Returning Member

my daughter was born in january of 2021 and i did not recieve any child tax credit for her or any monthly payments as she wasnt on my tax info in 2020 as thats what the irs used to issue the stimulas and when i go to turbo tax to amend it. it asks about my other daugthers info but never gives me questions my daughter that was born 

@70sfordman Your child was born in 2021---so anything you received for her is based only on 2021.  Forget 2020.  It has nothing to do with her.

How many children in total did you claim as dependents on a 2021 tax return?

Look on line 28 of your 2021 Form 1040.  What is there?

Look on line 30 of your 2021 tax return.  What is on that line?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
70sfordman
Returning Member

so on line 28 it says 5100 and on line 30 it doesn't say anything and i claimed for 2 children one child being 5 and obviously my new born 

Line 28 shows the refundable child tax credit for the two children.  It sounds like you got some advance monthly payments for the older child during July to December, and you are getting the full amount for the baby and the other part of the credit for the five year old on line 28.

If line 30 is blank---you did not get the recovery rebate credit for the baby born in 2021.   Did you get a stimulus check of $1400 for the five year old earlier in 2021?  Check your online account and see if the IRS says you got it.   If you did not get the $1400 for the 5 year old you can get it for him too.  You have to get it as a recovery rebate credit, and you will have to amend 2021 to get it.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies