Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I donate a brand new item and give it to a charity unopened still in the original packaging, isn't the value of the new item the same as what I paid for it?

The items are brand new and still in the original packaging never ever used.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If I donate a brand new item and give it to a charity unopened still in the original packaging, isn't the value of the new item the same as what I paid for it?

Yes.  Select "Comparable Sales" when entering it.

Not always.  Some items drop in value over time.  For example, if you bought a new PC in 1998 for $1000 and it was still new in the box, it could not be fairly valued as $1000 today.  The donation value of an item is what it is worth on the date it was donated.

Good point, but many donations are made relatively quickly after the purchase,  For example, you go to a store and buy things for an upcoming church rummage sale or charity auction.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies