turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My foreign account never exceeded $10,000 on its balance, but in total I had roughly $11,000 move through over the course of a year. Do I need to report it?

I had a foreign account for 2015 that had monthly balances of less than $10,000. I never had more than a few thousand dollars per month in the account. However, over the course of the year, I had moved about $11,000 through it. Does this mean I am required to report the bank account? It wasn't clear to me through the rules whether the FBAR requirement was $10,000 over time or in regards to the amount of money the account held at any given point. 

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

My foreign account never exceeded $10,000 on its balance, but in total I had roughly $11,000 move through over the course of a year. Do I need to report it?

No, you only need to file an FBAR if all your foreign accounts added together were over $10,000 on any day during the year (not if more than $10,000 was transferred through the accounts over the course of a year).

According to the federal government;

If you have foreign bank accounts, you may be required to file a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) if are a US citizen or resident and:

1. you had a financial interest in or signature authority over at least one financial account located outside of the United States; and
  2. the aggregate value of all foreign financial accounts exceeded $10,000 at any time during the calendar year reported.

To be directed to the US Treasury Government Website to prepare a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts, click FBAR (TurboTax does not support this form)

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DS30

No, you only need to file an FBAR if all your foreign accounts added together were over $10,000 on any day during the year (not if more than $10,000 was transferred through the accounts over the course of a year).

According to the federal government;

If you have foreign bank accounts, you may be required to file a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) if are a US citizen or resident and:

1. you had a financial interest in or signature authority over at least one financial account located outside of the United States; and
  2. the aggregate value of all foreign financial accounts exceeded $10,000 at any time during the calendar year reported.

To be directed to the US Treasury Government Website to prepare a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts, click FBAR (TurboTax does not support this form)

What if hypothetically you had a maximum of $5,100 in a foreign bank checking account and you moved all that money to a new savings account at the same bank? So now you had a checking account with a maximum value of $5,100 and a savings account with a maximum value of $5,100. According to the latest BSA Electronic Filing Requirements For Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FinCEN Form 114) - Instructions page 10 : “If the maximum account value of a single account or aggregate of the maximum account values of multiple accounts exceeds $10,000, an FBAR must be filed.” So in the above scenario it would seem that the aggregate of the maximum values of the two accounts is $10,200 and an FBAR must be filed, even though the total amount in that bank is never more than $5,100. I’m still confused and perplexed as to the correct interpretation of the IRS rules which seem ambiguous!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies