turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ron-pace

I have to determine the adjusted basis for my parents house purchased in 1946. Does the time value of money enter into the determination of basis?

Every dollar my parents paid in 1946 would be worth much more than a dollar today so do you take inflation or the time value of money into consideration when determining the basis of real property?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have to determine the adjusted basis for my parents house purchased in 1946. Does the time value of money enter into the determination of basis?

No. The time value of money does not enter into it at all. The adjusted basis is simply the dollar amount that they paid for it plus non-deductible cost paid at closing plus the value of any improvements that they made over the years. You might want to look at IRS Pub. 523, Selling Your Home for tips on basis.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p523.pdf

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No. The time value of money does not enter into it at all. The adjusted basis is simply the dollar amount that they paid for it plus non-deductible cost paid at closing plus the value of any improvements that they made over the years. You might want to look at IRS Pub. 523, Selling Your Home for tips on basis.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p523.pdf
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies