turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jhkwag97

International student US resident for tax purpose

Hi
I am F-1 visa international sutdent who have been classilified as US resident for tax purpose by Sprintax, because I lived in the US since 2009 December; however, although I did not have income since I came here, do I obligied to make 1040 form and submit it to IRS?
THank you
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

No. Even if you are now considered a US Resident for US income tax purposes, just like any US citizen or resident alien, you will not need to file a US income tax return if you do not meet the income requirements for filing an income tax return. (screenshot)

If you have no income from any sources both foreign and USA based, you will not need to file a US income tax return.

However, if you are considered a US resident for US income tax purposes, you may be required to file an FBAR if you have foreign financial assets.

You may need to file an FBAR if the money was held in a foreign bank account under your name or if you had signature authority over a foreign account. You would need to file a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) if are a US citizen or resident and:

1. you had a financial interest in or signature authority over at least one financial account located outside of the United States; and
  2. the aggregate value of all foreign financial accounts exceeded $10,000 at any time during the calendar year reported.

To be directed to the US Treasury Government Website to prepare a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts, click FBAR (TurboTax does not support this form)

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

No. Even if you are now considered a US Resident for US income tax purposes, just like any US citizen or resident alien, you will not need to file a US income tax return if you do not meet the income requirements for filing an income tax return. (screenshot)

If you have no income from any sources both foreign and USA based, you will not need to file a US income tax return.

However, if you are considered a US resident for US income tax purposes, you may be required to file an FBAR if you have foreign financial assets.

You may need to file an FBAR if the money was held in a foreign bank account under your name or if you had signature authority over a foreign account. You would need to file a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) if are a US citizen or resident and:

1. you had a financial interest in or signature authority over at least one financial account located outside of the United States; and
  2. the aggregate value of all foreign financial accounts exceeded $10,000 at any time during the calendar year reported.

To be directed to the US Treasury Government Website to prepare a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts, click FBAR (TurboTax does not support this form)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies