turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

moe174

If I lost $5000.00 as a down payment when we bought a new car and totaled it,can i take it as a loss ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

If I lost $5000.00 as a down payment when we bought a new car and totaled it,can i take it as a loss ?

No. At least, not exactly. A taxpayer seldom has a net tax deductible casualty loss, in a car accident, where insurance is involved. Your loss is the fair market ("blue book") value of the car on the date of the accident. 

To claim a tax deductible casualty loss you must not only subtract what the  insurance company paid, you can only deduct your losses that exceed 10% of your AGI+$100. In addition, it is an itemized deduction. If you usually take the standard deduction, you'll have to now find additional itemized deductions to exceed the standard deduction. 

In TurboTax, enter at:

Federal Taxes Tab 

Deductions & Credits

-Scroll down to:

--Other deductions & Credits

---Casualty & theft

Or type- casualty loss -in the search box

For more info, see:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i4684.pdf

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

No. At least, not exactly. A taxpayer seldom has a net tax deductible casualty loss, in a car accident, where insurance is involved. Your loss is the fair market ("blue book") value of the car on the date of the accident. 

To claim a tax deductible casualty loss you must not only subtract what the  insurance company paid, you can only deduct your losses that exceed 10% of your AGI+$100. In addition, it is an itemized deduction. If you usually take the standard deduction, you'll have to now find additional itemized deductions to exceed the standard deduction. 

In TurboTax, enter at:

Federal Taxes Tab 

Deductions & Credits

-Scroll down to:

--Other deductions & Credits

---Casualty & theft

Or type- casualty loss -in the search box

For more info, see:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i4684.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies