turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

New dependents

My husband and I were given power of attorney over his parents 3 children, they have been living with us since May. Will we receive the child payments for them? We have send in a form to add them as dependents. 

2 Replies

New dependents

Yes. For every dependent child under the age of 6, families will get up to $3,600 under the expansion, or $300 per month. For every dependent child ages 6-17, the amount is $3,000, or $250 per month. 


The amount starts phasing out for families with higher incomes, above $150,000 for married couples filing jointly, or $112,500 for single parents who file as head of household.


You will probably need to receive the payments in 2022 when you file your 2021 tax return. I would still try the IRS website to see if you are able to update your record.


Here is the link to the IRS portal:



**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Expert Alumni

New dependents

Greetings @DHgrant!  

@VincentL12345  definitely a possibility and @DHgrant you definitely should check the portal regarding. Additionally per the IRS the following are the "must have" qualifiers for the Advance Child Tax Credit Payment if you and your husband filed a joint return:


  • Filed a 2019 or 2020 tax return and claimed the Child Tax Credit on the return; or
  • Given us your information in 2020 to receive the Economic Impact Payment using the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool; and
  • A main home in the United States for more than half the year (the 50 states and the District of Columbia) or file a joint return with a spouse who has a main home in the United States for more than half the year; and
  • A qualifying child who is under age 18 at the end of 2021 and who has a valid Social Security number; and
  • Made less than certain income limits.

The IRS will use the information you provided to determine if you qualify and automatically enroll you for advance payments. You do not need to take any additional action to get advance payments.  It's important to note that a qualify child for the Child Tax Credit/Advance Child Tax Credit is as follows:


  • Be under 17 at the end of the tax year.
  • Meet the relationship and residency tests for uniform definition of a qualifying child, see the Child-Related Tax Benefits Comparison Chart.
  • Not provide more than half of his or her own support for the tax year
  • Have lived with you for more than half the tax year (see Publication 972 PDF, Child Tax Credit, for exceptions for birth or death during the year, temporary absences, kidnapped or missing or children of divorced or separated parents)
  • Be claimed as a dependent on your return
  • Not file a joint return for the year (or filed the joint return only to claim a refund of taxes withheld or estimated taxes)
  • Be U.S. citizen, U.S. National or a U.S. resident alien. For more information see Publication 519 PDF, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.
  • Must have a Social Security Number issued by the Social Security Administration before the due date of your tax return (including extensions).

Click HERE to review the eligibility for the Advance Child Tax Credit.  


@DHgrant, I hope this helps.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies