Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Scott13

My wife teaches adults Spanish at the Community College level, and a private academy. Can she deduct expenses? Or take a standard teaching expense deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

My wife teaches adults Spanish at the Community College level, and a private academy. Can she deduct expenses? Or take a standard teaching expense deduction?

IF she is a certified instructor and employed by a registered educational institution (I would expect a private academy to qualify) then those expenses are claimed under the deductions & credits tab in the job related expenses section. THere's a sub-section of that specifically for teacher expenses.

There is an educator expense deduction for teachers of grades K-12 in Federal>Deductions and Credits>Employment Expenses>Teacher (Educator) Expenses
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If she is a W-2 employee, she can deduct any unreimbursed work expenses like any other employee deducts work expenses, using form 2106, which becomes an itemized deduction on schedule A subject to the 2% rule.  This would include classroom supplies and other expenses, and mileage driving between the two work sites if she works at both sites on the same day.  (Mileage from home to the first site of the day and mileage from the last site of the day to home is non-deductible commuting.)

Additionally, the first $250 of expenses can be a special top line teacher deduction if she qualifies.  Teaching college does not qualify, but the private academy might if it is K-12.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc450/tc458

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies