turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

walicehg

My wife and I received the Economic Impact Payment in March 2021 for ourselves and our two children who were full time students in 2020, but were no dependents in 2021 - they both graduated in 2020. What happens now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

My wife and I received the Economic Impact Payment in March 2021 for ourselves and our two children who were full time students in 2020, but were no dependents in 2021 - they both graduated in 2020. What happens now?

Nothing "happens."   You do not have to pay back the EIP payments you already received.   You do have to enter your amount correctly as shown on your letter 6475 to show that you received $1400 x 4= $5600 because you are not eligible for any more.   If the kids are not being claimed as dependents and they are filing tax returns Congress left a loophole that allows them to get the $1400 on their 2021 tax returns.

Enter the information in Federal Review for the recovery rebate credit.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies