Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My parents (not U.S. citizen or resident) visited U.S. for a month for medical treatment, can I claim the expenses I paid for their medical treatment in the deduction?

The deduction here is for the Federal tax.
My parents received the medical treatment in a U.S. hospital.
My parents are neither U.S. citizen nor U.S. resident, they are not living with me.
I am living in U.S. .
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

My parents (not U.S. citizen or resident) visited U.S. for a month for medical treatment, can I claim the expenses I paid for their medical treatment in the deduction?

Yes, you would have to pay over half of their overall support in order to claim their medical expenses on your tax return. 

Where do they live?  If they live outside the North America, you cannot claim them as a dependent or claim their medical expenses on your return. You can only claim a US Citizen, US Resident, a Resident of Canada or Mexico or a US national on your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

You can deduct your parent's medical expenses even if they do not meet the income requirement to be claimed as your dependent if you provided more that half of their support.

Hi MayaD,

Thank you for the updates. I got a few more questions:

1. I paid more than half of their medical expense in U.S. . Do I also need to provide more than half of their other expenses (e.g., living expense outside U.S.) to deduct my parent's medical expenses in my tax return?

2. If my parents are NOT U.S. resident (they are living outside U.S., and they are not U.S. citizen), can I deduct my parent's medical expenses in my tax return?

Thank you for your time and help.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Yes, you would have to pay over half of their overall support in order to claim their medical expenses on your tax return. 

Where do they live?  If they live outside the North America, you cannot claim them as a dependent or claim their medical expenses on your return. You can only claim a US Citizen, US Resident, a Resident of Canada or Mexico or a US national on your return.

Hi Vanessa A,

Thank you for the updates. How many days do my parents have to stay in U.S. to be considered as a U.S. resident?

Thank you for your time and help. 

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

They would have to meet the  Substantial Presence Test which is 183 days, so if they were only in the US for one month, this would not be long enough. 

However, if they were here long enough to be US residents, then they would have to file a tax return claiming all income from all sources and pay taxes on it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies