vlarun

My parents came to visit me from India in a touring Visa. They are not US citizens. When they were here my mom fell ill and the medical bills came to $9000. Now she has gone back to India and I am pay

I am paying the $9000 bill. Since she stayed here for 6 months can I claim her as dependent in federal tax filing and claim the bill for tax credit?

ToddL

No, you won't be able to claim your mother as a dependent on your tax return or claim a deduction for her medical expenses. 

To claim someone as a dependent on your U.S. tax return, the person must be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national, a U.S. resident, or a resident of Canada or Mexico.

There are other requirements to claim someone as a dependent on your U.S. tax return. The IRS has an online tool to tell you Who Can I Claim as a Dependent?

ToddL

bine22

if she meets the substantial presence test, she would be a resident alien
najavano3063

This answer is wrong.