Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Federal return includes a 1098 for my primary mortgage and another 1098 for my HELOC. During final checks, why does software ask for principal outstanding again?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

My Federal return includes a 1098 for my primary mortgage and another 1098 for my HELOC. During final checks, why does software ask for principal outstanding again?

This should have been entered when you entered your 1098's.  If it was not, you will find these numbers on your 1098 for both your HELOC and your Primary Mortgage.

The reason this needs to be entered is because depending on when you bought the house, the interest is capped on the first $750,000 of the combined mortgages. ($1,000,000 for mortgages taken out before December 16, 2017).  The mortgage interest deduction is also limited to the portion of the mortgage that was used to buy, build or substantially improve the home that it secures.  This means, if you used the HELOC to pay off credit card debt or to buy a boat, the interest on the HELOC is not deductible.  

So, you will need to enter the mortgage principal balance to complete the return if you are itemizing to be sure that your mortgage interest deduction is not capped or otherwise  limited. 

Deducting Mortgage Interest

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies