Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My employer offers a Tuition Reimbursement program and I use it to get reimbursed for the college courses that I pay out of pocket for. I received a 1098-T. Do I get to claim any deductions on my taxes for attending college as a half time student?

My employer offers a Tuition Reimbursement program and I use it to get reimbursed for the college courses that I pay out of pocket for. I received a 1098-T. Do I get to claim any deductions on my taxes for attending college as a half time student?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

You can claim Education Credits as long as you are enrolled at least half time as a student.  

You cannot claim any of the education expenses that are reimbursed by your employer, unless they are reimbursing more than $5,250 or including it as taxable income on your W-2.  If they are not including it as taxable income, then you are already getting a tax break by not having this income taxed, so you cannot take an additional credit for the education expenses.

If they are giving you more than $5,250 and the education you are getting is directly for the betterment at the job you are doing, then this would still not be taxable income so you would still not be able to claim that amount for educational credits.  If the amount over $5,250 is not for the betterment of the job you are performing for them, then you would be able to use that amount towards education credits.

If your employer is covering all of your costs and you do not qualify for a credit, you do not need to enter your 1098-T on your return.

If your employer is not covering all of your costs and you do qualify for education credits, you can enter the 1098-T by selecting the following:

• Federal
  • Deductions and Credits
  • Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T)

If you are unsure if you should enter the 1098-T or not, you can choose to enter it, and then answer all of the questions saying yes to employer assistance provided, then walk through the steps and TurboTax will determine if you qualify for any education credits. 

(Edited 2/18/24 @ 7:15PM PST)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies