cbbesong

My child was born in '21. I did not amend my 2020 tax return to indicate this. Will I get the full $3600 child tax credit when I file my 2021 tax return in 2022?

Mike9241

if you meet all the tests for the maximum credit you'll get it on your 2021 return. sometime later this summer the IRS will open a website so you could sign up to obtain advance payments. these would go against the amount you would get on your 2021 return.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/advance-child-tax-credit-payments-in-2021 

cbbesong

Yes, I missed the first payment in July (last week). I was just wondering if I would get the missed payment on the 2021 return when I file next year, or if somehow, I would get the missed monthly payment in 2021.

@cbbesong wrote:

If the child is eligible you can receive the increased Child Tax Credit on your 2021 tax return filed in 2022.

You can’t amend a 2020 return to include a child born in 2021.  

The advance payments don’t change the amount of the credit, the only change when the credit is paid.  Any amount not paid in advance will be added to your tax return.