Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

artboy56

My and sister had repairs done on a house they sold. Can they divide the single receipts for repairs? They will not be filling tax returns jointly with each other.

Each will file with spouses
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My and sister had repairs done on a house they sold. Can they divide the single receipts for repairs? They will not be filling tax returns jointly with each other.

If this was a personal residence and not a rental or a business property then repair costs cannot be claimed on a tax return when the property is sold.

There is a a difference between improvements and repairs.  Improvements (also called betterments) add value to the property, extend the useful life of the property, or adapt it to a new use.  Repairs maintain the property in its current condition, or restore it to as-was condition.  

For personal property, expenses like repairs, maintenance, insurance and utilities are never deductible.  Improvements add to the adjusted cost basis, which reduces capital gains tax (that's how you get tax savings from improvements).   If the home has two owners, they can each report half the sales proceeds and subtract half the adjusted cost basis. 

If they are in the business of flipping houses, the business can deduct costs like utilities, insurance and repairs. Improvements are added to the cost basis and reduce the capital gains in the usual way.  However, a business must file a partnership tax return first, before the partners can split anything.  That requires a special form, a special version of turbotax, and has an earlier deadline.

Do you want to tell us more?  Was this personal or business?  How did they acquire the home?

@Opus 17 wrote:

If they are in the business of flipping houses, the business can deduct costs like utilities, insurance and repairs. Improvements are added to the cost basis and reduce the capital gains in the usual way. 

Just so this is clear, those in the business of flipping houses are considered to be real estate dealers by the IRS.

As such, capital gains do not enter the matrix when the houses are sold as the property and any improvements are considered to be inventory, not capital assets.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies