Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TheresaZ

Multiple 1098s from same lender for different loans on the same property - data pulled from 2022 is not updating correctly

I have a single primary home with a mortgage that originated in 2013. It was a refinance from an earlier loan with the same lender, so there are points to spread over the life of the loan. From the same lender, I also have a HELOC secured by the same property which originated in 2014.

I've always received two 1098s and entered them separately in Turbotax, and never had a problem. This year, my 1098 entries were pulled forward from last year, and I updated the amounts. The totals appear correct, on the list of 1098 worksheets, but when I click <Done>, the total deductible mortgage interest on the Deductions summary is $2417 higher than it should be.

I removed both lender entries and started over. Even when I only enter the primary mortgage as a single loan, Turbotax is calculating deductible mortgage interest with the same additional amount. Since the amount of the error is the same, it seems like there is a spurious entry somewhere that was possibly generated by previous years' data, but I can't find it to correct it. Yet, when I delete both current 1098s, the extra amount also disappears and I have $0 as a home mortgage interest deduction.

Re-entering the 1098s from scratch, just brings back the error.

What do I need to do to fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Multiple 1098s from same lender for different loans on the same property - data pulled from 2022 is not updating correctly

Since you know the correct amount, just enter it. The sch A goes to the IRS with a single number. All of the entries are just TurboTax worksheets. Enter a balance below $750,000, a lender name, the correct deductible amount.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am curious as to why you believe your mortgage deduction is $2417 more than it should be. The amount shown on the Deductions summary is the total interest paid, not the deductible amount. Does the interest amount on the deduction summary change after entering the HELOC and stay $2417 more?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies