TheresaZ

Multiple 1098s from same lender for different loans on the same property - data pulled from 2022 is not updating correctly

I have a single primary home with a mortgage that originated in 2013. It was a refinance from an earlier loan with the same lender, so there are points to spread over the life of the loan. From the same lender, I also have a HELOC secured by the same property which originated in 2014.

I've always received two 1098s and entered them separately in Turbotax, and never had a problem. This year, my 1098 entries were pulled forward from last year, and I updated the amounts. The totals appear correct, on the list of 1098 worksheets, but when I click <Done>, the total deductible mortgage interest on the Deductions summary is $2417 higher than it should be.

I removed both lender entries and started over. Even when I only enter the primary mortgage as a single loan, Turbotax is calculating deductible mortgage interest with the same additional amount. Since the amount of the error is the same, it seems like there is a spurious entry somewhere that was possibly generated by previous years' data, but I can't find it to correct it. Yet, when I delete both current 1098s, the extra amount also disappears and I have $0 as a home mortgage interest deduction.

Re-entering the 1098s from scratch, just brings back the error.

What do I need to do to fix this?