Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mobile home space rent as home office deduction. How? (TurboTax considers home as owned)

I had the home office for years in a rented place, where I deducted a portion of the rent as my home office deduction. How I moved to a manufactured home, but I still pay space rent on the land. How do I deduct that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CathiM

Mobile home space rent as home office deduction. How? (TurboTax considers home as owned)

Since you can't enter into TurboTax that you both owned and rented, you will have to enter the lot rent as a Utility or Other Home Expense. I mentioned Utility because the rent may be considered for the hookup to the pad.

TurboTax will allocate it according to the square footage of the mobile home you entered.  If you want to allocate it differently, you will have to answer Yes to the question "Do you have expenses that apply only to the home office".  Then you can enter the amount of the rent you allocate to the home office.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
CathiM

Since you can't enter into TurboTax that you both owned and rented, you will have to enter the lot rent as a Utility or Other Home Expense. I mentioned Utility because the rent may be considered for the hookup to the pad.

TurboTax will allocate it according to the square footage of the mobile home you entered.  If you want to allocate it differently, you will have to answer Yes to the question "Do you have expenses that apply only to the home office".  Then you can enter the amount of the rent you allocate to the home office.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies