Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mtnerd
Returning Member

Medical Professional data entry box won't let me enter the amount

I'm using the laptop version of Turbo Tax and entering our medical expenses. On the page to enter the expenses for Medical Professionals, it shows $0 in the data entry box and won't let me enter the expense. I've checked my numlock key and tried the number keys on the top of the keyboard. Nothing is working. 

I've also closed the program after saving my file and restarted it. Same problem. 

How do I fix this? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
mtnerd
Returning Member

I called support. There was a problem with a Windows update that snuck into the system. Once the update was installed, the program worked properly again. 

Same problem, cannot enter any amount in the data entry box

It worked for me. see here

And then on forms, see here

You may need a program update, Or maybe clear cache and cookies. Sign out of the program and back in again.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I downloaded and installed the latest updates when I started using the program today. I have exited out of the program and restarted several times and still no luck entering Medical Professional expenses or expenses for clinics. All of the other deductions I have been able to successfully enter.

I will wait a day of two to see if another update from Intuit might solve the problem.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

To clarify, what turbo tax product are you using?

@lewmiller1 

TurboTax Deluxe

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

In order to claim your Medical professional expenses, you will need to upgrade to Turbo Tax Self-employed using the online version or if using the software, you will need to upgrade to Turbo Tax Home and Business.TT  Deluxe will only let you claim the income but will not allow you to enter business expenses.

@lewmiller1 

So does this mean that Intuit has removed this feature from TurboTax Deluxe? In the past I have always been able to enter medical expenses deduction. This is definitely a change.

@lewmiller1    No....you don't need to upgrade.....

@DaveF1006  was mis-interpreting your post , thinking that you received medical professional income....not that you paid it out.

1)  IF you are using the "Desktop/download" software?

2) And IF you are seeing a $0 in the entry field in the interview?

Then....then there is a Supporting Details (SD) worksheet attached to that Field....usually transferred in empty from last year's ta file.

Try double-clicking on the field...that usually brings up the SD sheet for you to make detailed entries for a total to be calcualted.....if needed.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Yes, that works! By double clicking the $0 field, it brought up the supporting detail worksheet and I was able to successfully enter the deductible amounts for each provider. Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies