turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I am a resident of Minnesota, so I will be taking the standard deduction for Federal, but itemizing for my State return. Can Turbo Tax process that?

Medical expenses and Misc. expenses one can take if you itemize.  529 Plan expenses you can take without itemizing, so also charitable donations. There are questions about this (529 Plan) in State questions/interview. 529 Plan expenses are not deductible on Federal return so one cannot expect to see them automatically transferred from Federal to state return.  529 Plan one can take Tax Credit or deduction. M1M form has 529 Plan deduction and Charitable donations and standard deduction.  There has to be no duplications. Because of this error and duplication of expenses on both M1M and M1SA forms, my State Tax return was rejected. TT has to fix this problem before we can refile. We have to wait until next update, as I understand,  which is expected on or about Feb. 9.
hayer0192

I am a resident of Minnesota, so I will be taking the standard deduction for Federal, but itemizing for my State return. Can Turbo Tax process that?

@doclax I still don't see the itemized section or form M1SA. I thought they were going to update this.

Go to left upper corner of the  screen and hit "Forms". Then search M1SA. You may find the itemized deductions. I did not itemize at MN state.  However I did see the form but it appeared did not go with     e-filing as I did take standard deduction.
hayer0192

@doclax I am using the web version. I do not see it even when I use the search, it just goes back to the Q&A forum/thread. It should be available for e-file according to this: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_mn_online_individual.html"...>

I do not see any lines or questions for M1SA form when I go through the process: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/Forms_and_Instructions/m1sa_18.pdf">https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/...>

Sorry, I use TT Deluxe  Desktop CD version. May be somebody who uses web version may be able to answer.

Were you ever able to force filing the Minnesota return with an itemized deduction? I'm having a similar problem, although for 2020 taxes. It is using the phased out standard deduction for me even though I itemized my federal return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies