Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

scottl44

Medical deductions for weight loss?

I asked last year if the cost of a medical weight loss program could be deducted.

The person who responded said yes, if it's specifically to treat obesity, high blood pressure, etc., but you must get it in writing.

My wife was in a Kaiser weight loss program, and she didn't get it specifically in writing, but in her medical record, it shows the diagnosis as obesity. Is this sufficient or does she need something else in writing?

She was not happy with the Kaiser program and changed to one at John Muir. She obtained a letter from the doctor stating her condition of obesity and the necessity of treatment. Is there somewhere in TurboTax to submit this letter with the return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

No, the letter does not need to be submitted with your tax return.  You should keep it with your records in case the deduction is ever questioned by the IRS.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

No, the letter does not need to be submitted with your tax return.  You should keep it with your records in case the deduction is ever questioned by the IRS.

scottl44

Thanks for the fast response. I have a couple semi related questions:

1. My wife also paid $2500 to a cryotherapy company for a weight loss procedure called (or similar to) "cool sculpting." This is meant to reduce fat deposits in the upper legs, mostly the build up near the knee area. This was not part of the John Muir program, but was helpful in some fat reduction and relieving pressure above the knees (see next question.)

2. She has a degenerative arthritis in her knees and is getting various treatments not covered by insurance. She is a teacher and is on her feet most of the day, so the arthritis is sometimes tough to bear. We purchased a therapeutic device called "Normatec recovery system" which is typically used by professional athletes like NFL players, etc. after intense workouts. It really works well for relieving her. This cost over $2000.

Are these two things deductible as medical expenses?

Thanks!
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

This is my opinion only.  Unless the cryotherapy was prescribed by a physician it would be less likely to be considered a medical deduction.  Those types of procedures are usually considered to be more cosmetic and would not be deductible.  

The therapeutic device would be more likely to be deductible without question since it directly treats the arthritis pain.  However, if you could get a letter from her physician recommending it, that would be even better.
scottl44

This has been very helpful. One last thing.

If the IRS questions my medical deductions, will they do a full on audit, or will they just want an explanation and documentation of the deductions?

Since they only allow to deduct the amount over 7.5% (or is it 10%?) of AGI, I'm looking at about a 4 to 5K deduction. Would they bother with an audit for that small of an amount?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies