Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Medical Deductions field locked

I'm trying to update TurboTax Deluxe in the Medical and Professionals $ amount field.  It's locked.  Will not let me delete what's there or even overprint a new amount.  Did not want to wait for 30-40 minutes on hold.  I could have left my number for call back but I have my phone set to ignore unknown numbers so a call back "may" have gone to voice mail and that's worthless to get a live body to answer my question/problem.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Follow these steps:

Desktop version: 

1. Delete the form
  2. Save your return while closing the program.
  3. Update the program
  4. Open
  5. Enter the information again.

Online version:

A full or corrupted cache can cause problems in TurboTax, so sometimes you need to clear your cache (that is, remove these temporary files).

For stuck information follow these steps:

1. Delete the form/ worksheet- if possible, see How to Delete  
  2. Log out of your return and try one or more of the following:
    • Don't use Internet Explorer.
    • Clear cache and cookies,
    • Sign in using a different browser.
    • Sign in using a different device.
  3. Log back into your return.
    • Enter the information again.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

PRIOR YEAR USE OF A SUPPORTING DETAILS WORKSHEET :

If you find you have a  $0  in an entry field that cannot be changed … this issue is almost always one in which you used a "Supporting Details"  (SD) sheet in that field in the prior year.   What happens is that when you transfer in the prior year's data, the SD sheet is transferred too, but empty...and that causes the $0 to show up in many areas of the Step-by-Step mode interview....wherever the SD sheet was used before.

But when switching to Forms Mode, when you try to enter a $$ amount in a field where the SD sheet is attached, the SD sheet will pop up immediately, and you can either enter the $$ amount on that sheet, or delete the SD sheet entirely and avoid future issues (unless you really want the SD sheet)

Sometimes, when you see the $0 in Step-by-Step, you can just

1. a)  double-click on the field and the SD sheet will pop up.  But I've seen that doesn't work in all cases.

1. b)  Another way is to click on the field, then go up to the menu..."<<Edit<<<Add Supporting Details"....then the SD sheet pops up and you can use it, or delete the SD sheet entirely and then the regular field will work properly.

1. c)  OR  click on the problem field, then switch to Forms Mode to make that entry

Thank you.  It was the detail page that was causing the lock-out.  Fixed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies