turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Maximum HSA contribution.

My wife, age 66, had high deductible health care coverage for the first 8 months of 2017, Medicare for the final 4 months.  Turbotax tells me that her maximum HSA contribution limit is $3,600.  My calculation is $2,933.  How do you get $3,600?  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Let's see if we can make sense of the allowable contribution and deduction amount. As you can see below I get the same amount you do for an 8/12 month proration.

You must pro-rate your contribution based on the number of months during which you were HSA-eligible on the first day of the month. 

Example: You enroll in Medicare Part A (a disqualifying event) effective Oct. 1, 2017. You were covered on a self-only contract during the first 10 months of the year. Your maximum contribution for 2017 is 8/12 of $4,400, or $2,933.  

When I select January - August as HDHP, then Medicare or None for the last four months I get the correct amount. This is based on a "Self Only" plan as you can see in the image attached (click to enlarge and view for assistance).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Let's see if we can make sense of the allowable contribution and deduction amount. As you can see below I get the same amount you do for an 8/12 month proration.

You must pro-rate your contribution based on the number of months during which you were HSA-eligible on the first day of the month. 

Example: You enroll in Medicare Part A (a disqualifying event) effective Oct. 1, 2017. You were covered on a self-only contract during the first 10 months of the year. Your maximum contribution for 2017 is 8/12 of $4,400, or $2,933.  

When I select January - August as HDHP, then Medicare or None for the last four months I get the correct amount. This is based on a "Self Only" plan as you can see in the image attached (click to enlarge and view for assistance).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies